Sunday, January 30, 2011

How to Be Nice, Marty, Salsa Tonight, Israeli and English tomorrow, Contra, Dance Party

Hello Gainesville Ocala Israeli and Folk Dancers,
 
We had so much fun last week, we are doing Salsa again this week, tonight Sunday from 7 to 9 at 308 West.
 
Tomorrow Monday come out for Israeli circle and partner dances at B'nai Israel from 7 to 9. Free if you attend any of my other programs within a week.
 
English Country Dancing is also tomorrow from 7 to 9:30 at 308 West.
 
Next Saturday, February 5 come out for the First Saturday of the month Swinging Soul Party at 308 West.
 
You can follow that up with a Contra Dance on the First Sunday and then go watch the Super Bowl.
 
Mark your calendar for the Third Sunday of the Month, February 20 Waltz Brunch. I have a surprise waltz I am going to share.
 
Next week Richard starts a Two-Step class on Tuesday nights at the Boltin Center. See the Swing and Social dance newsletter.
 
Hustle! coming February 13.
 
Two articles this week. See below.
 
JNET next meets Thursday, February 3 at Leonardo's 706, 5:30 to 7 with guest Dr. Dan Boyd, my former high school principal, now Superintendent of Alachua County Schools.
 
 
Happy Dancing,
Andy
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Schedule: confirm all programs before going
 
1. Sunday 1/30 - Salsa for Swing (and Folk) Dancers
2. Monday 1/31 - English Country Dance
3. Monday 1/31 - Israeli Circle and Partner Dancing
4. Tuesday 2/01 - Line Dancing
5. Wednesday 2/02 - Israeli Dancing at Kol Simcha
6. Friday 2/04 - International Folk Dancing
7. Saturday 2/05 - Swinging Soul Dance Party
8. Sunday 2/06 - Contra Dance
9. Sunday 2/20 - Waltz Brunch
 
Article: How to Be Nice
Article: Marty, Again
 
Ongoing:
 
Clogging in Gainesville - on Sunday afternoons. www.FirstKlassKloggers.com
 
Contra Dancing in Melrose - first and third Wednesdays of the month at Shake Rag Art and Culture Center. Susie Rudder calling. Live music. $5. Corky Culver, sisorbit@windstream.net
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Quotes:
 
- All right, so I'll go to the Stardust Ballroom. I'll put on a blue suit, and I'll go. And you know what I'm gonna get for my trouble? Heartache. A big night of heartache. ~ Marty (Ernest Borgnine), screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky
 
- The language of dance is older than human language itself since body movement was used for communication before sound. ~ Benjamin Zemach, from Ha-Rikud
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Sunday 1/30 - Salsa for Swing Dancers
 
Gainesville Dance Association, 308 W University Avenue
 
7:00 - 9:00 : Salsa class for Swing Dancers
 
$10, $5 students
 
Add Salsa to your repetoire so you can do a few Salsa dances when they are played at a social. You will have a chance to put your new skills to good use next weekend at Richard's social on January 29.
 
No partner needed. All levels welcome. Swing dance experience helpful, but not required.
 
Come early to sign in. Class starts on time.
 
Andrew, 352-327-2378, publish@gainesvilledance.com
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
2. Monday 1/31 - English Country Dance
 
601 S Main Street
 
7:00 - 9:30
 
$5
 
Annette Merritt, flamerritt@hotmail.com
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
3. Monday 1/31 - Israeli Circle and Partner Dancing
 
Congregation B'nai Israel, 3830 NW 16 Blvd
 
7:00 - 8:00 : Circle Dances
8:00 - 9:00 : Partner Dances
 
Starts exactly on time.
For all levels of experience. Newcomers welcome.
No partner needed.
 
$5 per family. Ages 22 and under free. Other students $2.
If you have financial difficulties, you can come for free.
 
Andrew, publish@gainesvilledance.com, 352-327-3672
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
4. Tuesday 2/01 - Line Dancing with Sandi Larkins
 
Eagles Club, 4562 NW 13th Street
 
6:00 - 8:15 - Line dancing
 
$5
 
Sandi Larkins, ridesthewind@gmail.com
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
5. Wednesday 2/02 - Israeli Dancing at Kol Simcha
 
Kol Simcha, 14007 NW 44 Ave Gainesville, FL
 
6:30-8:30 : Teaching and Israeli dancing
 
With Joseph Simpkins
 
352-331-3191
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
6. Friday 2/04 - International Folk Dancing
 
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 4225 NW 34 Street
 
8:00 - 11:00
 
$3, $1 students
 
Jack Seltzer, 352-359-2903 gainesvilleifd@gmail.com, www.gifd.org
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
7. Saturday 2/05 - Swinging Soul Dance Party
 
GDMA, 308 West University Ave
 
8:00 - 11:00+ : Social Dancing Mostly Slower Swing
 
$10, $5 Students
 
Starts exactly on time.
For all levels of experience. Newcomers welcome.
No partner needed.
 
Andrew, publish@gainesvilledance.com, 352-327-3672
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
8. Sunday 2/06 - Contra Dance
 
Thelma Bolton Center, 516 NE 2 Ave
 
3:30 - 4:00 : Lesson
4:00 - 7:00 : Contra Dancing
 
$8
 
Beginners lesson a half hour before the contra dance starts. No partner needed.
Please wear clean, soft-soled shoes to protect the floor.
 
Susie, 352-466-9150, $8, $5 under 21
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
9. Sunday 2/20 - Waltz Brunch
 
GDMA, 308 West University Ave
 
10:30 - 1:30 : Waltz Brunch
 
$10, $5 Students
 
Richard, 352-213-8769, mostlyswinggainesville@yahoo.com
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Article: How to Be Nice
 
Two weeks ago there was a bat mitzvah at the synagogue. Behind me was sitting a teenage girl who was by herself. I started talking to her. She went to Buchholz and was on the soccer team with the bat mitzvah girl. I introduced her to my nephew and they already knew each, at least from sight. They were both in the band.
 
Most people went in to lunch, but my sister and nephew were leaving. My sister said there were too many people she did not know. I told her Josh needed to go talk to that girl because she did not know anyone else, but they left anyway.
 
Reminded me of a time at the JCC in Boca in Ira Weisburd's group. After playing basketball, I got to dancing late. I asked my cousin, "Who is the new guy?"
 
She said, "I don't know. I was going to meet him at the end."
 
I said to her, "That's not nice. That means he spends the whole evening not knowing anybody and feels out of place. You are supposed to introduce yourself right away, so he feels welcome."
 
At another group we used to go to, we used to joke that the oldtimers would not talk to you until you had been there for two years, because they did not know if you were coming back.
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Article: Marty, Again
 
A friend of mine had been taking lessons for a while, but never made it out dancing anywhere. He felt rejected every time he went. He said to me, "I can tell. The women run away from me." I danced with him. He was a good dancer and he was a nice looking guy. I tried to get him to go Contra Dancing where he would have a positive experience, but he was too discouraged. He had taken lessons for a few years and it was ashame he quit.
 
Last night was a long, crazy night of dancing, first Richard's Swing party at the Boltin Center and then the Tango Milonga at 308 West. After 5 hours, I was, as my dad would say, "a little punch drunk".
 
When I got home, I was too wound up to sleep, so I cut up an organic apple, doled out some local blueberries from Wards, topped with whip cream and my secret ingredients and put on the TV to settle down.
 
TCM host Robert Osborne was interviewing Ernest Borgnine, which was a treat and then Marty came on, my lucky night.
 
Angie (Marty's best friend): "How about calling up that big girl we picked up in the movies about a month ago up in the RKO Chester?...You know that big girl that was sittin' in front of us, with the skinny friend...Remember her name was Mary Feeny - we took 'em home all the way out in Brooklyn. What daya say? Think we ought to give 'em a call? I'll take the skinny one."
 
Marty: "She maybe got a date already, Ange...I didn't like her. I don't feel like calling her up."
 
...
 
When Marty gets home, he goes in his room and makes a phone call.
 
Marty: "...Oh, hello there. Is this Mary Feeney? Hello, there. This is Marty Pilletti. I-I wonder if you recall me. Well, I'm kind of a stocky guy. The last time we met was in the RKO Chester. You was with a friend of yours, and I-I was with a friend of mine, name of Angie. This was about a month ago - The RKO Chester on West Farms Square. Yeah, you was sitting in front of us, and we was annoying you, and - you got mad and - I'm the fella who works in a butcher shop. Oh, come on, you - you know who I am! That's right, and then - then we went to Howard Johnson's. We had hamburgers. You hadda milkshake. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, well, I'm the stocky one, the heavy-set fella. Yeah, well, I'm - I'm glad you recall me because I hadda pretty nice time that night, and I was wondering how everything was with you. How's everything? That's swell. Yeah, well, I tell you why I called. I was figuring on taking in a movie tonight, and I was wondering if you and your friend would care to see a movie tonight with me and my friend."
 
The camera zooms in slowly. Marty closes his eyes, he already knows he is going to get rejected.
 
Marty continues: "Yeah, tonight. Why, I know it's a little late to call for a date, but I didn't know myself till - yeah, I know."
 
Might as well make the rejection complete.
 
Marty: "Yeah, well, what about - well, how about next Saturday night? Are - are you free next Saturday night? Well, what about the Saturday after that? Yeah. Yeah, I know. Well, I mean, I understand that. Yeah. Yeah."
 
When Marty comes to dinner, his mother starts up with him.
 
Mrs. Pilletti: "Why don't you go to the Stardust Ballroom?"
...
Marty: "I chased after enough girls in my life. I-I went to enough dances. I got hurt enough. I don't wanna get hurt no more. I just called up a girl this afternoon, and I got a real brush-off, boy! I figured I was past the point of being hurt, but that hurt. Some stupid woman who I didn't even want to call up. She gave me the brush. No, Ma, I don't wanna go to Stardust Ballroom because all that ever happened to me there was girls made me feel like I was a-a-a bug. I got feelings, you know. I-I had enough pain. No thanks, Ma!"
...
Mrs. Pilletti: "Marty, put on the blue suit, huh?"
...
Marty: "All right, so I'll go to the Stardust Ballroom. I'll put on a blue suit, and I'll go. And you know what I'm gonna get for my trouble? Heartache. A big night of heartache."
 
While I was writing this newsletter I made this delicious bean soup, all organic, from stuff I had gotten from Wards. Yum. It is really good. Did not need to use any seasoning. If you have good ingredients, you do not need to add anything else.
 
Where was I? Oh, yeah.
 
Marty meets his wife that night.
 
Save yourself some worry. Your life can change in a moment and you cannot predict the future.
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
You can find the Gainesville Ocala Israeli and Folk Dancing newsletter online here
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Bronze Inc. provides this free email newsletter service. Bronze is a for profit business and may get compensated for services and products mentioned here and on Bronze websites.
 
www.ComputerGainesville.com - Gainesville computer support and handholding, Internet marketing, networking, email list service, web design, development, hosting and programming
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Gainesville and Ocala Dance Calendar
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Follow Gainesville Ocala dancing on
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (c) 2010 to present by Bronze Inc. Gainesville, FL
 
www.GainesvilleDance.com - Gainesville Ocala dancing
www.PartnershipDancing.com - Dance Lessons on How to Dance with a Partner
 
You may forward, print or post any part of this email provided you include this copyright notice. All other rights reserved. Contact us for other uses.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Weitzen, publish@dancecalendar.info, 352-327-3672, Gainesville, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment