Friday, January 9, 2009

Selling Cokes at the Game

In High School, in the early 1970s, ticket prices to Gator games were $8, but we had a way to get to the games for free.

My friend Dave and I used to sell cokes at the games. We would buy a tray of 12 cokes (pepsi was harder two syllables, so I would get the coke trays) for $3.60 to get into the games. We would sell each coke for $0.35 then find a place to sit down and drink the last two. If we got thirsty, we would buy another tray.

Sometimes the games would sell out and we could not find seats. So, we would go to the top of the stadium on the student side. Row 89 I believe was the last row. Behind the last row was a space and then the wall of the stadium. Standing on our toes, we could look over the wall and see the tiny road far below.

There was enough room in the space for another row. We set our trays down long way up, sit on them and watch the plays unfold from in aerial view.

To get into the games, you had to be at a certain gate at a certain time with your $3.60. A guy took us all in at once. We bought our first tray and they gave us passes.

One time I was late to the gate. People were already arriving for the game and the regular security was there. I had no ticket, but I did not want to miss the game, so I walked right in like I owned the place. No one stopped me.

That made Florida Field another in a long list of places I successfully snuck in.

No comments:

Post a Comment